Monday, September 24, 2012

Books To Read


Number 12 on my list of 30 things to do before turning 30 was to read 30 books.  I finally accomplished this and wanted to list the rest of the books I've read and let you know if they are worth reading.

#18:  Edenbrook by Julianne Donaldson.  I read this book a few weeks ago and could not put it down.  It is definitely in my Top 5 of books I've ever read.  Such a simple, but beautifully written love story that reminds me a lot of Pride and Prejudice - same time period and a story about falling in love.

#19:  Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. I read this while I was at camp this summer.  A few people had recommended it so I thought I'd give it a try.  I have not ready very much sci-fi but this one was actually pretty good. It's an easy read and has an interesting story.

#20: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is my second time reading this series and I think I loved it even more that second time through.  Such a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone!

#21: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Same as the review above. Great series! Must read.

#22: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collin. This is the last in the Hunger Games series.  I'll admit the first time I read it I didn't really like this one, but the second time I read it I really liked it a lot and got way more into it.

#23:  Divergent by Veronica Roth.  This is the first book of a newer series.  It actually reminded me a lot of Hunger Games.  While it wasn't as good has Hunger Games, I still thought it was a great story and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

#24: Night by Elie Wiesel.   A true account from someone that survived a concentration camp.  It's a sad story, but an important for everyone to understand how awful those concentration camps were. Must read for sure.

#25: Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder. A true story about an incredible man that has dedicated his life as a doctor to curing the world.  He's brilliant and has given so much of his life to helping find cures and treatments for infectious diseases. Really good book.

#26: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  Another new favorite!!  I devoured this book and did not want to put it down.  Its an amazing true story of a WWII pilot that was taken as a prisoner of war in Japan.  His story is absolutely amazing and I was horrified and so impressed by what this man endured through the war.  His story is so inspiring!  PLEASE READ!

#27: The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice.  My friend from Northern Ireland gave me this book to read while I was at camp.  It was so good!  It's a fun little love story that takes place in England and I really enjoyed it.

#28: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I had never read this book before and figured that since there is now a movie coming out about it I might as well read it.  I would say that it was a good book but I didn't think it was particularly amazing.

#29. The Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon.  This is another book my friend at camp gave me to read.  And again, I loved it!  It takes place in the 1850's during the Crimean War and the story is awesome.  I couldn't put it down.

#30: Code Talkers by Joseph Bruchach.  A friend recommended this to me.  Its a story about Navajo Indians that were recruited to take part in WWII and were an integral part in communications throughout the war for the USA.  Really good book!!




No comments:

Post a Comment