Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Really Lived


My inspiration for the name of this blog comes from a quote given by an incredible women that passed away several years ago. Her name is Marjorie Pay Hinckley. She was the wife of Gordon B. Hinckley, who was the Prophet of the LDS Church until he passed away three years ago. This sweet old woman taught me so much by her example and her dedication to serving other people. I came across this quote a couple of years ago when I was preparing a lesson and it has stuck with me ever since. Here is it:

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

This is how I plan to live my life. Finding joy in the simple things, especially in serving those around me. We are all living on this earth, doing our best to succeed and life is so much easier when we help lift each others burdens. I feel most alive when I know that my heart is in the right place and that I am making a difference for a fellow human being.


No comments:

Post a Comment