Sunday, April 18, 2021

Jesus Christ: Creator


 


I'm not sure about you, but I'm a sucker for an amazing sunset.  The other night I was walking past the front door and caught a glimpse of the sunset outside and had to do a double take.  The sky was on fire and it was beautiful! The same thing just happened tonight.  I glanced out the window and saw some pink and purple painted across the sky.  I like to think of sunsets as God taking His paintbrush and giving us something beautiful to remind us that He's here and that He loves us.

As I looked at the sunset tonight one of my favorite name's for Jesus came to mind: Creator.  I can only imagine how sacred, and also how fun, it was for Christ during the creation, to watch as the earth was formed and to find joy in adding a beautiful mountain range here and an incredible waterfall there and wide open spaces with green rolling hills and the sandy beaches full of sea shells and crashing waves.  Sometime I even imagine that He asked us to help Him and maybe we each got to add a couple of brushstrokes to this planet we call home. 

I love this scripture: Colossians 1:16: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Jesus is a creator and He created us in His image.  So if we were created to be like Him, then we are also here to create.  What a huge blessing it is to create.  To make something that has never existed before.  And I also love that there are so many different ways to be creative.  Some people are amazing at creating beautiful pieces of art, others create music that touches the soul, some create beautiful homes that are sanctuaries to those that enter, some create beautiful babies and beautiful families and beautiful traditions that go on for generations.  Some create delicious meals for those that are hungry and some create long-lasting friendships that last forever. 

There are times in my life when I get a little stir crazy or feel a little disconnected and it usually comes down to realizing that I haven't been doing anything creative.  I do believe that we also have an innate desire to create, just like our Savior did.  We get to create beautiful, messy, exciting, chaotic and happy lives. Our lives are a canvas and Jesus has taught us to create of our lives a masterpiece.  It won't be perfect, but it is our own work, created through our own blood, sweat and tears.  And when we die we get to present that masterpiece to our Father in Heaven, and Jesus will be there, adding His grace and His mercy and filling in the cracks and sewing up the tears and turning each mistake into a beautiful stroke of paint that completes our masterpiece and He helps us see the beauty in the life we lived on earth and the life we get to continue to create after we go home to heaven.

The sun has now set, there is a bird sharing his beautiful song outside my window and the Creator of all things, both in heaven and on earth, is anxiously awaiting to see what I create next.  I better get to work.


PS: this video below is one that I've loved for many years. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment