Sunday, December 4, 2011

Books I Have Recently Read


If you have been following my blog, you know that one of my goals this year is to read thirty books.  I will admit that I love to read. I love to curl up with a warm blanket and get lost in a good book.  Here is an update on the last few books I have read.


Book #11: Enna Burning by Shannon Hale.  This book is the sequel to The Goose Girl, which I read earlier.  I listened to this book while I was running my half marathon in October and also on my flight out to Hawaii.  I would say it is a good book but not incredible. It's about a girl named Enna and how she helped save her country from war because she has the ability to create fire.   This series has been written for young adult readers and it's an interesting story line.  I will admit I got a little bored with it and was happy to get it finished.



Book #12: The Undaunted by Gerald N Lund.  I loved this book!  I am a sucker for historical fiction and this book was about the Mormon Pioneers that were asked to settle in the Four Corners area.  Along their journey they had to build a road, which included taking their wagons down what is now called Hole in the Rock.  I have hiked Hole in the Rock in Lake Powell a couple of times and I am absolutely amazed that these pioneers brought their wagons down that trail, which they built. It seems nearly impossible but they did it.  The story line is great. It includes adventure, characters of faith and even a little romance. I definitely recommend it!


Book #13: Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I just finished reading this book last week.  It was written in 1891 and I wasn't sure if I would like it, but my roommate said it was good so I decided to give it a try.   It is definitely one of the best books I have read in awhile. The story is all about Tess, who was born into poverty and the horrible trials she faced in her life.  I will say that it is a sad book but it is one worth reading.  I do not want to give anything away, but I will say once you start reading it you will not want to put it down.  Also, there is a BBC Movie based on the book. I watched it this weekend and it follows the book really well and is a great movie!


No comments:

Post a Comment