Sunday, November 6, 2011

Smiling Her Way Through Life



Yesterday I was able to attend the funeral of my friend, Sarah Hays Shurtz.  Sixteen months ago Sarah was diagnosed with stage 4, terminal cancer.  She put up an incredible battle and inspired so many people in the process.  While I was sitting at her funeral I was able to join with so many others to celebrate this amazing woman.  I have had so many thoughts going through my head since the funeral.  The thing that I will remember most about Sarah is her beautiful smile and her ability to make everyone that she met feel important.  When she was talking to you, you knew that she genuinely cared and that you mattered. Her funeral was full of people that had been touched by Sarah's kindness and genuine care. I believe that is one of the greatest things you can learn as a human being, to help those around you to feel important and to know that they are worth being loved and cared for.  In Sarah's honor I want to put more effort into loving people unconditionally and helping to make each person I meet to understand their great worth. Thank you Sarah for smiling your way through life, especially when the pain was so great.  You smiled and you loved and you made a difference in the lives of so many.


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree and want to do the same thing. She was always looking at the bright side...that's my goal!

    ReplyDelete