Thursday, July 21, 2011

Quote of the Week: Less is More and that's Enough


"I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder. - Emma Watson

I love this statement by Emma Watson. I must tell you, I don't know much about the woman, but I admire her for being real and for taking a stand for what she believes. In the Hollywood world there is so much pressure to show your skin - and then some. Every woman is judged for how thin she is, how good she looks in a certain dress, and what size that certain dress is, and how much skin that certain dress reveals.

And because Hollywood has such massive influence on the rest of the world, so many regular women are running around so worried about how they look, thinking they won't be loved if they don't look like the women walking down the red carpet -- if they aren't wearing the short mini-skirt with their boobs hanging out of a shirt that is two sizes too small. And the sad thing is---they are missing out on life. They are missing out on what it feels like to love their bodies, to nurture their souls and to find relief from taking the enormous, heavy, negative belief off of their backs that constantly whispers in their ears that they are not pretty enough, not sexy enough, not good enough, not lovable enough, not fun enough, not skinny enough, not attractive enough, not smart enough, not enougH, not enouGH, not enoUGH, not enOUGH, not eNOUGH, NOT ENOUGH!

Enough with not feeling like you are enough ladies! I am pointing my finger at myself just as much as I am pointing it at you. It's not just about modesty. It's about loving yourself because you are lovable, beautiful and brilliant. You always have been and you always will be. You are worthy of LOVE. Picture yourself in the future, when you have let go of worrying about what the world thinks of you and have surrendered to knowing that you are enough. You are a woman. You are beautiful. You create beautiful things. You know how to love and accept other people, especially yourself.

One woman speaks up about respecting herself and not giving in to the pressures of society. We applaud her, she share her quote all over facebook and we think, "Wow. I am so impressed that someone in Hollywood actually has morals." But then we get distracted and we forget. We look in the mirror and start pointing out every flaw on our face and we begin to wish we were prettier, thinner, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Instead, lets applaud the woman the stands up for her morals, lets applaud each woman we meet that loves herself, lets applaud each man that looks for the true beauty in a woman and lets applaud ourselves for taking a deep breath, looking in the mirror and saying "I am enough."



No comments:

Post a Comment