Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hiking, Reading and Volunteering...what more is there to life?


It is time to do some updating! For those of you that don't know, I have a list of 30 things I want to accomplish before I turn 30 in March.  You can check out the list here. I am working hard to do all of the things on my list.  A few things are in progress and a few others I hope to start in the near future.


Me in the Narrows
Last weekend I did #5. I head down to Zion's National Park with my mom, dad and sister. We hiked Angel's Landing and then went a couple of miles up the Narrows.  Goal #5 is to hike the Narrows. While we didn't do the whole hike, I loved the part that we did and look forward to going back one day to do the whole things (in the middle of summer when the water is warmer!). I must say that I do love Zion's and it was an incredible day of hiking and I enjoyed every minute.  The weather was amazing (nearly 90 degrees) and the views from the top of Angel's Landing never cease to take my breath away.

Goal #8 is to read the entire Standard Works. This includes the Book of Mormon, Bible (Old and New Testament), Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price.  I finished reading the Doctrine and Covenants a couple of weeks ago, as well as the Pearl of Great Price.  Now all I have left is the Bible, which is a huge task.  The Old Testament is HUGE!  But I am determined to do it.  

I have read two other books to add to my goal for reading 30 books this year (goal #12).
Book #9: A Single Voice, by Kristen M. Oaks, is a book written by a woman that was single until she was 52 years old.  After a lifetime of being single she married Dallin H. Oaks, who was a widower, and currently serves as an Apostle for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Her book is all about her experiences as a single woman and how "the unexpected life is no less a life."  So many women grow up with dreams of getting married and raising a family and those that remain single end up being somewhere that they never quite expected or planned to be.  It's not a bad place to be, just unexpected. I really enjoyed this book. I thought she had a lot of great things to say and as able to acknowledge how hard the single life can be, but also how amazing it can be, if you choose to really get out there and live it and be involved and develop a strong relationship with the Lord. I definitely recommend this book to everyone, whether they are single or not.  For those that are not single, it might teach you a thing or two about what it's really like for those that are unexpectedly single and that sometimes the things that married friends tell their single friends can be pretty hurtful, even if the remark was meant to uplift or encourage.  It's a great read!


Book #10: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. I actually listened to this book on my iPod. My sister had me download a few books from her computer a couple of years ago and then I never listened to them. A couple of weeks ago I thought it would be nice to listen to books while I am out running. So this is the first one a listened to.  I would say its more of a young adult book, but I enjoyed it. It's a fictional story about a girl named Ani that is a princess that is basically betrayed by her mother the Queen and sent to marry the prince of another land.  Her journey is a crazy one and the story has some great characters, as well as some good twists and turns.  It was good entertainment that kept my mind off of my running, so I would consider to someone that wants to read a good story.

 Goal #17 is in process.  It is to volunteer to be a Big Sister.  I went to orientation two weeks ago and have an interview scheduled for this Tuesday and then hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be able to meet my "Little Sister."  I think that Big Brother Big Sister is a great program and the kids that are in it benefit so much from having a positive role model that is a part of their life. I am really excited to be a part of it.

I am also determined in the next coupe of weeks to start on goal #19, which is to make a t-shirt quilt with all of my old t-shirts.  Has anyone out there ever made a t-shirt quilt before?  Any suggestions or patterns you want to share?  I have no clue how to make one, but I will do it!




1 comment:

  1. i have all my t-shirts and want to start my quilt too. i just talked about it yesterday. i want to do this with you! oh and congrats on your under 2 hour half marathon. that is amazingly awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete